Show and Tell Friday (8/3)

Welcome to "Show and Tell Friday!" Do you have a something special to share with us? It could be a trinket from grade school, a piece of jewelry, an antique find. Your show and tell can be old or new. Use your imagination and dig through those old boxes in your closet if you have to! Feel free to share pictures and if there's a story behind your special something, that's even better!

Today's show and tell was an easy choice. I wanted to show the 17 roses that my Hubby gave to me. Not only is that special but you should here the story of how they came about. My MIL was at the grocery store yesterday and there were a bunch of roses by the check-out. She commented to the cashier how pretty they were...here is what happened.
MIL: "Those are very pretty."
Cashier: "You want them?"
MIL: "What?"
Cashier: "We are just going to through them out tonight."
MIL: "Sure....my residents would love them." (not sure if that's exact, but you get the idea."

So she gave some to my Hubby and he gave them to me and she took the others to her residents at the retirement center (She is one of the best activities directors around!) So....I have 17 roses. Isn't that awesome!
Next I wanted to show the bush we have in front of our home. Do any of you know what type it is? I don't know. (You can tell from the second picture how humid it is outside. It is going to be a VERY hot and humid day.) It's actually 2 bushes because there are light purple blooms on one half and fuschia on the other. Thanks in advance for your help. Now...I am off to see the other show and tells. :) Blessings to all.

Comments

Patty said…
what a wonderful blessing. They are beautiful. And I like the idea that the
Roses were given a chance to share their beauty before being discarded. That would have been such a waste
Anonymous said…
The roses are beautiful... I love roses.

Your bush could possibly be a Rose of Sharon... but I can't see the blooms close enough to really tell. Anyway, the picture is beautiful with the fog in the background!

Thanks for sharing.
Pen of Jen said…
What an amazing treat for your husband to receive! And then to give:)

I love the mysterious beautiful tree/bush welcoming you! I think that you as family should name it something and from then on refer to it as such!
Anonymous said…
What a lovely bush and I'll be curious to hear what it is, too.
Carole Burant said…
Imagine getting roses that way...hmmmm, I wonder if I go to the grocery store at the last minute tonight before they close if I'll be as lucky!! hehe They truly are beautiful!! xo
Hi,
The bush out in your yard looks like a Rose of Sharron. I just love your red roses. Thanks for sharing
Susan said…
The roses are beautiful. How wonderful of the store, and then your MIL sharing them with you and the residents. It is such a joy to give and bless others.
Susan
Michelle said…
Gorgeous roses!

The bush looks similar to the Rose of Sharon we had at our old place. If you take a flower into a local nursery, they may be able to tell you for sure.
Unknown said…
Lovely, darling! The first thing I thought about the bush was Rose of Sharon, also. I'm not sure, but it sure looks like a double-bloom Rose of Sharon.
Lara said…
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/hisy8.htm

I think this picture of a Rose of Sharon flower looks really similar to yours. I would guess that also. Yours is so pretty- I am going to look for one to plant next to my hydrangea.
Sharon said…
The roses are beautiful! I thought the bush was a Rose of Sharon, also.
Anonymous said…
Those roses are gorgeous! And you can't beat the price!

Sorry I can't help identify the bush -- I only know a few flowers.
Kelli said…
Beautiful roses!!! What a sweet surprise!
Kelli
Paula said…
How wonderful that your hubby was able to bless you with flowers for free!

Blessings,
Mrs. C
Myrna said…
I don't know what the bush is. It appears that most people think it is Rose of Sharon. I have always wondered what that plant looked like--very pretty!

the rose story is precious. How nice of your mil to share them with your hubby so you could have some to enjoy!
Jane H said…
Mel it was 10:30 before we knew how big Mikaela was and everything. She was born at 7:30 p.m. by c-section she was face up and sabrina tried like a trooper for 1hr and 15 minutes pushing and couldn't get her out. She weighed in at 9 lbs 5 oz and 20 inches long.
Lori said…
Love your 17 roses. HMMM! Maybe we should pop into the grocery store as it is closing too.

The bush in front of your home is beautiful.
Sonya said…
Love the bush and the roses are perfect! What a wonderful surprise! Your MIL sounds like a sweet woman!
Anonymous said…
I have a bush just like yours and it is an althea bush. The flowers look to be from the double pink variety. Hope that helps some! Everything is just beautiful.
Anonymous said…
I agree with the other commentators...Rose of Sharon :)
The roses are beautiful.

Thanks for visiting my blog.
~Tamara
www.TrainingHearts.com

Popular posts from this blog

Show and Tell Friday (10/5)

Princess Balls and Bike Riding

I did it!