Finally Did It!

I finally made my own vanilla! I had the supplies for a couple of weeks, but I had a hard time getting the pickle smell out of the jar lid. But I finally figured it out. I boiled the lid with some baking soda for a little bit. Then added lemon juice. After boiling it for a while I but it into a plastic bag with some activated charcoal. The next day...no pickle smell! So I could finally get started on making the vanilla. I used the instructions from Heavenly Homemakers. I purchased a pound of vanilla beans from Olive Nation with the discount code from Heavenly Homemakers. 
I cut 80 beans to put into the gallon jar.
Then I poured a gallon of vodka into the jar.
After 6 months I will have a gallon and a half of pure vanilla!

I didn't have a half gallon jar so I just used the vodka bottle. I had poured a little of it into the gallon jar and had room to add 40 beans. I had 120 beans. The exact amount called for ...for a gallon and a half. Not that it would matter if I was a few under or over. I know that this is a TON of vanilla but I am hoping to sell some to Beloved's coworkers and have extra for gifts. :-) I will let you know how it is in 6 months!

Comments

Unknown said…
That is awesome that you can do that! I just simply don't have the time or patience. Let me know how it turns out for you!!

Love and miss you!
Angie

Popular posts from this blog

Show and Tell Friday (10/5)

Show and Tell and Giving Thanks

I did it!